CREAMY CALLALOO DIP
Made for Int'l Groovy Soca Monarch College Boy Jesse and his wife Curlene
1 bundle callaloo bush
1 onion, peeled and diced
4 – 5 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium sweet pepper, seeded and diced
½ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise
8 oz cream cheese
¾ cup coconut milk powder
Salt and black pepper to taste
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove the leaves from the callaloo bush and cut the leaves into thin strips.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium – high heat. Add the onions, garlic and sweet peppers. Cook for 1 minute until a little tender. Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes, ensuring the garlic does not burn.
- Add the dasheen bush leaves and mix into the vegetables. Let cook for a few minutes until the leaves have wilted. Stir occasionally. Add the red pepper flakes and a little salt and pepper.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In another bowl, mix together the cream cheese, Hellmann’s Mayonnaise, parmesan cheese. Mix in the coconut milk powder and the red pepper flakes.
- Add the cooled dasheen bush mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spray a baking dish lightly with cooking spray. Place the mixture in dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until the mixture is bubbling and golden brown.
- Remove the dip from the oven and serve immediately. Perfect with chips, toasted bread or vegetables.